Approval Seeking Behavior
Approval is like a killer drug – it quickly becomes addictive and you develop a need for more. When you have this need for Approval, you value the opinions, beliefs and needs of other people above your own.
Someone else’s opinion of you is far more important than your own view of yourself. Experiencing disapproval can be very painful. Your complete decision making processes are eventually taken over by your need for approval, and you end up not taking any decision without their approval. You sacrifice your own ambitions and dreams just to maintain their approval. Some of the negative consequences of approval seeking behaviour are:
– Lack of personal fulfilment
– Lack of personal achievement
– Low self-confidence and self-esteem levels
– Increased stress levels
– Reduced performance
Here are common examples which many fail to recognise.
– Paying insincere compliments to gain approval
– Feeling worried, upset or insulted when someone else disagree with you
– Doing something that you don’t want to do because you’re afraid of saying “No”
– Spreading bad news and gossip just to gain attention
The world is not black and white. We are all entitled to our own thoughts, beliefs and opinions.
…to be contd.